The following terms and conditions govern the relationship between Semos Language Services Limited ("Semos") and any individual or organization ("client") to which it supplies translation services ("services"). With respect to the Email/blog post/express translation service, supplementary Terms and Conditions apply. With respect to Express Translation Services, where there is conflict between the terms specified below and those appearing in the supplementary terms, the supplementary terms taks precedence.
1. Scope of Work: The client will provide Semos with the material for translation or a sample of the material for translation and specify the language(s) the material is to be translated into. The client will also specify any other requirements (see point 4. Client Specifications below). If Semos is able to carry out the work, it will send the client a written quote. The quote may be based on word-length, target language(s), urgency, and/or any other factors discussed by Semos and the client. If the client accepts the quote, he will send Semos a Purchase Order or similar written confirmation, and Semos will begin work.
2. Invoicing and payment - business clients based in the UK: Unless agreed otherwise, Semos will invoice business clients based in the UK upon or shortly after delivery of the services. The payment terms are 30 days from receipt of invoice unless agreed otherwise.
3. Invoicing and payment - private individuals and business clients based outside the UK: Unless agreed otherwise, Semos may invoice private individuals and business clients based outside the UK BEFORE any work begins. The payment terms are 50% on receipt of invoice and 50% on delivery of services unless agreed otherwise. Semos reserves the right to invoice after the work has been delivered.
4. Client Specifications: Semos will endeavour to carry out work in accordance with the specifications of the client. These may include any terminological or stylistic conventions to be observed, any formatting requirements, any Computer Assisted Translation software to be used, and deadline(s), as well as any other specifications. The client may not modify the specifications in any way once a Purchase Order or written confirmation to begin work has been received without the express agreement of Semos. THE CLIENT MAY NOT REQUEST DEDUCTIONS FROM THE AGREED FEE ON THE BASIS THAT SEMOS HAS NOT ADHERED TO TERMINOLOGICAL OR STYLISTIC REQUIREMENTS, FORMATTING REQUIREMENTS, DEADLINE(S), OR OTHER REQUIREMENTS, WHERE THESE REQUIREMENTS WERE NOT CLEARLY AND UNAMBIGUOUSLY STIPULATED BEFORE THE WORK BEGAN.
5. Limitation of liability - effectiveness: Although Semos aims to provide language services of an exceptionally high standard, this does not constitute a guarantee that any work carried out by Semos for the client will have the effect intended or desired by the client. Semos thus limits its liability in this respect to the fullest extent possible in law.
6. Limitation of liability - delivery: Semos is not responsible for any delays to the delivery of its services caused by circumstances beyond its control, including, but not limited to, technical problems, such as server issues, and natural or public calamities such as flooding, fire, and acts of terrorism or state of war. Semos thus limits its liability in this respect to the fullest extent possible in law.
7. Limitation of liability - general: Semos is not responsible for any material, reputational or other losses suffered or believed to be suffered by the client as a result of any work carried out by Semos for the client. Furthermore, the client agrees to indemnify Semos, its officers, employees, and contractors against any material or other losses suffered or believed to be suffered by any third party as a result, wholly or partially, of the publication or distribution by the client of any work carried out for the client by Semos. The client also indemnifies Semos against any losses whatsoever sustained as a result of damage to computer hardware or software as a result of the distribution of a computer virus. The client indemnifies Semos against any such damage sustained by third parties, where the client has been instrumental, however unwittingly, in the virus' spreading.
8. Indemnification - against violation of copyright by client: Where Semos believes that an infringement of the intellectual property of a third party has been committed by the client, or would be committed by the publication of any materials developed by Semos for the client as a result of information supplied to Semos by the client, Semos will refuse to undertake the work. Furthermore, where the intellectual property of any third party is infringed by the publication of materials developed for the client by Semos using information supplied to Semos by the client, and where Semos has not been aware of any such infringement, the client agrees to indemnify Semos against any actions brought by any third party in any jurisdiction.
9. Indemnification - content and purpose of work: Semos will refuse to carry out any work which it believes will result in the publication and/or greater dissemination of any materials which incite violence, hatred or discrimination in contravention of national and international laws. Semos will never modify any sentiments or claims expressed in any text. Semos does not endorse or identify itself with any materials it develops for clients. The client is the author of any material developed by Semos, which the client chooses to publish.
Semos is not to be held responsible for any legal action whatsoever, criminal or civil, brought by any individual, organization or government, in any jurisdiction, resulting from the publication of materials developed by Semos for the client. The client agrees to indemnify Semos against all such actions.
10. Confidentiality: Semos will treat as confidential all material provided to it by the client and will not divulge its contents save where it believes that it is required by law to do so. Semos works with external freelance linguists, all of whom are commited to maintaining client confidentiality.
11. Data Protection: Semos is registered with the Information Commissioner in the UK as a data controller and adheres to all the principles of data protection set out in the relevant Data Protection legislation.
12. The jurisdiction is England and Wales.